When market prices are low, store your grain in a PICS bag to sell when the price is better.
- A PICS bag can store your maize for up to 5 years.
- You do not need to dust your grain with chemicals.
- No air can get into the bag so weevils and other pests die.
- PICS bags have 3 layers. 2 layers are plastic and do not let air in. The outer layer is a woven plastic sack.
- Each PICS bag holds 90kg of grain.
How to use a PICS bag
Make sure your grain is dry and clean.
Check the 2 inside bags for any holes or tears. Do not use bags with holes and tears.
Put the 2 liner bags into the outside bag. Fold over the top.
Fill the inside bag with grain. Pack the bag tightly to get rid of air.
Twist the top of the bag and fold it over. The firmly with a strong string. Repeat for the middle bag, then tie the outer sack last.
Store PICS bags in a cool dark and well ventilated store. Stack on pallets 5 inches above the floor.
Transport your produce using proper means to avoid loss from spillage and contamination. You are likely to pay less if you transport as a group.
Sell your maize as a group
Forming a group with farmers nearby has a lot of benefits:
- Sell your grain in bulk. You will have more bargaining power as a group and get a better price. All farmers use the same sized bags. This helps when negotiating prices.
- Survey the price before deciding to sell your maize grain. Only sell if the price can earn you a good profit or store the grain until the price goes up.
- Build a store together. It is cheaper than building your own.
- You will have better access to loans through a bank.
- Share ideas and solve problems together.
- You work with your neighbours, rather than being in competition with them.
- Don’t be cheated by middlemen with faulty scales. Weigh grain on UNBS certified scales.